Harvey Newstrom is a pioneer in the development of a unified cyber security framework.
- He authored the first federal security architecture that combined INFOSEC, TCSEC, DCID, ISO, and NIST criteria into a single unified security framework to protect both classified and unclassified data.
- His security architecture was cited by OMB auditors as “the best” of any agency.
- His work was requisitioned by Dr. Ron Ross for incorporation into
NIST SP 800-53,
NIST SP 800-53A,
NIST SP 800-53B,
standards to protect all unclassified federal data.
- These standards were later approved by the Joint Task Force to protect all DoD, Intelligence Community, and National Security classified data as well.
- These standards are now required for civilian cloud services, telecommunications, and critical infrastructure.